Lentil Apple Muffins
1/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsps milk
1 1/2 cups (180 grams) all-purpose flour
1 cup (115 grams) whole wheat flour
3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup peeled, finely chopped apples
3 tablespoons rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare muffin tins (coat with shortening, or use paper muffin cups) for approximately 16 to 18 muffins.
- Rinse the lentils and put into a small saucepan along with ¾ cup of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the lentils have absorbed all the water and are very soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the lentils to a food processor. Add 1 tablespoon of water and process until smooth. Transfer lentil puree to a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together both flours, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice and set aside.
- Whisk canola oil into the lentil puree until smooth. Add the eggs, sour cream and milk and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Gently mix until almost combined. Add apples. Stir until apples distributed into mixture.
- Fill each muffin cup about three-quarters full and sprinkle the tops of each muffin with oats or crumb topping (see Recipe Notes below). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool on wire rack for five minutes before removing from tins.