Cherry Almond Muffins
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 cups cherries, pitted, coarsely chopped, and drained
1 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted
Granulated sugar, for topping the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line with paper, or lightly grease a 12-well muffin pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the almond extract.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and add them to butter/sugar mixture alternately with milk. Gently fold in almonds and cherries.
- Spoon muffin batter the pan; cups will be quite full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little granulated sugar, and bake for 30 minutes, or until muffins test done.
- Store at room temperature for 3 days, or freeze for up to a month.