Lemon Poppy Seed Mini-Muffins
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, optional
1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease mini-muffin tins for 2 1/2 dozen muffins.
- Whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, lemon zest, and eggs until smooth. Gently fold yogurt mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Fold in melted butter. Do not overmix. If you overmix, the muffins will be dense.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. (I use a 2 oz. scoop) Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Rotate muffin tin halfway through baking.
- While muffin are baking, simmer sugar and lemon juice together in a small saucepan over medium heat until it turns into a light syrup, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove muffin tin to a wire rack. Brush with lemon syrup. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Let muffins cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool for another 10 minutes before serving.