2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease muffin tins for 18 muffins.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening using two knives or a pastry blender. In small bowll, beat egg, then mix in milk and vanilla.
- Fold the liquid mixture into the flour mixture until just blended. Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Scoop the batter by the heaping 1/4-cupful into the prepared muffin pans. Bake in pre-heated 425 degrre oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, loosen their edges from the pan, and after about 5 minutes transfer them to a rack to cool.