Italian Monkey Bread
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
1 1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups high gluten bread flour
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons basil
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon poppy seed
Put the first 6 ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle and start the machine. When the dough cycle is done, remove the dough and place in a covered container and chill dough in refrigerator for 3 hours or more. (Up to 2 days)
- In a food processor, blend the olive oil, basil, oregano and garlic. In a small bowl mix together the kosher salt and poppy seed. Set aside to use once the balls are made.
- Divide chilled dough into 36 separate pieces and roll into balls. Place in a pan large enough for the balls to lie on a single layer (13 x 9 inch works). Brush the dough balls with the olive oil mixture, turn the balls over and brush so that the dough is completely coated. You will have some of the olive oil mixture left over. Sprinkle the dough with the kosher salt and poppy seed mixture.
- Brush the olive oil mixture inside of a 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom. Place the pan on a rimmed pizza pan to catch any olive oil that leaks out. Arrange the dough balls in the pan trying to keep in the center away from the inner and outer sides (to leave room for the rise). Set in warm spot to rise until double in size. Save any of the olive oil mixture left from the pan used to coat the dough.
- When the dough has doubled in size, coat the top with the remaining olive oil mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes, reduce to 350 degrees.
- Bake total of 30 to 40 minutes. Check for the top browning and cover if necessary
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes