Frosted Spinach Brownies
10 ozs. spinach
1/2 cup water
3/8 cup (6 tbsps.) salted butter - melted
1/2 cup chocolate chips - melted
2 eggs, beaten slightly
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 tbsps. unsalted butter
5 tbsps. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsps. milk
1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
- Place spinach in a large microwave proof covered bowl. Microwave spinach on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes on High. Cool until able to handle to squeeze out water (using hands). Puree in food processor with 1/2 cup water. (Makes about 1 cup pureed spinach)
- In large bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate chips on low heat in medium sized pan.. Cool slightly. Add sugar and mix. Add 2 beaten eggs slowly to mixture and blend well without over stirring. Add spinach and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to flour mixture and stir until well blended.
- Grease a 8-inch square pan. Spread mixture in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until set. Cool before frosting.
- FROSTING: In a large heatproof bowl, microwave the butter and cocoa powder until butter is melted. Beat together with a hand mixer until smooth. Add the vanilla and milk and stir. Add the confectioners sugar and stir, slowly at first, until incorporated; then beat on medium speed until frosting is smooth and creamy.